Friday 9 May 2014

USER TESTING

I felt that User Testing was vital to my work. I therefore enlisted the help of school children (aged 5-7, my target audience). They were asked to answer questions and critique my work.

Here are the sheets they filled out:









ALL of the children responded that they like to go on walks! Having researched about the number of children glued to screens this was very refreshing to hear. The response on how often they go out with their friends and family was mixed. Some responded that they go out a lot, others said not so much. A lot of children said they went to the park.
The children liked the characters a lot. However, I did not that no one picked the moon as their favourite.



I next wanted to see if the kids could do the pumpkin activity sheet. The results are below. They had fun drawing the faces. They would have liked the reward of a sweet for the task's completion after the trail.


Written by the teacher after asking the children numerous questions about my work. Saying what the children were asking and talking about:

Can we do the walk? 
That looks exciting.
I like the witches.
I love Halloween. (...Basically a Halloween trail is a brilliant idea as it immediately excites the kids and they want to go.)
I love the activity sheet. I would love to do this. The faces are funny...cute...exciting.
Would like treats rewarded when finished Pumpkin activity sheet.
They liked all the characters.
They were extremely excited by the activities and wanted to do them there and then! 
They found it fun to even copy the faces! 
I love the pumpkins. Can we make one? Do you make one on the trail?
My dad would like to do these activities too.
Liam said...Are there no ghosts? I love ghosts they are spooky. 
Later... Will there be ghosts on the walk?.....later could we dress up as ghosts.....later where are the ghosts? 
He went on and on about ghosts.

I've obviously made a mistake to not include ghosts! As Liam was pointing out. Since none of the children answered that the moon was their favourite character, instead opting for all of the others, I think it would make sense to replace the moon character with a ghost!

Treats was also something pointed out. A number of the children expressed that they would have liked some sort of reward after the trail. Many suggested treats. I think it would be a great incentive. Perhaps Halloween themed treats could be on offer! This also links back to trick or treating.

 
The children also had a number ideas for me! I asked if they had any ideas for activities you could do in the wood for my witch signs. Their answers were wonderfully creative. Seen below:
I'll be giving them credit for this one!

Overall, I found user testing so important. It has definitely made me consider a few things, but overall I am pleased that the children understood and really seemed to like my design.

No comments:

Post a Comment